Graemsay is located in the Western approaches to 'Scapa Flow', lying between Stromness on Orkney mainland and the North end of Hoy.
There are two lighthouses, Hoy High to the East and Hoy Low to the West. Both were built & designed by Alan Stevenson of the famous lighthouse engineering family and were commissioned in 1851.
The current population is twenty two permanent residents, including two aged 13yrs and 15yrs who travel daily by ferry to attend Stromness Academy. The islands school closed in 1996 and the building is up for sale.
Large parts of the island have been left largely undeveloped and are a haven for many wild plants.
The island is on mains water which is piped from the island of Hoy though some properties still have private piped spring water available.
There are no shops on the island apart from the post office which opens two hours per day on just three days per week from 07:00 to 09:00 for pensions and postal services. Mail is collected and delivered on a daily basis, six days per week.